Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

USB drive to the max


Since I am constantly going between computers, I thought it prudent to purchase a small USB drive. I had done so in the past, but I let some one at work "borrow" it. I never really had a use for one again, until now.

A few weeks ago, the professor of the Internet class I am in mentioned "Wiki on a Stick." Intrigued, I learned more about it after class. "Wiki on a Stick," or stickwiki, is a self-editing XHTML page that contains a complete standalone wiki that can be run in most popular web browsers. I instantly thought of hundreds of uses, so I bought a new USB drive and installed stickwiki on it. It worked out good, but I had to plug the drive in, open it, find the wiki file, and then open it. I figured that this would become tiresome after a while, so I put on my hacker hat and got busy.

I ended up figuring out how to access the USB drive through the device manager through the command line. With this ability, I wrote a small Perl script that runs when I plug my drive in at work or at home. When the script runs, it looks on the drive for a configuration file, that tells it everything it should do with this device (I did this so that it can be expanded to do things like sync music collections on my DAP, etc), including opening up the wiki in Firefox automatically. Thus, it has become less of a pain to use, and it is beginning to work wonderfully for me for tracking projects in school and work, and keeping todo lists.

I don't know what other "features" Blogger has, or what exactly works as a usable "feature" for this assignment, so, since last time I used an image from somewhere else on the Internet with copyright, this time I will upload an image from my computer with no copyright (since I drew it). It is the small "cobra" in the upper right hand corner. This image is usually my avatar on web forums.

No comments: